As the old saying goes, or as some supermarket has coined it, every little helps.
In the case of the 2022 Sky WNT Fund, the ‘little’ will be a €5,000 bursary with Kilkenny’s Ellen Molloy among those collecting the funding award this year.
Established as part of Sky’s sponsorship of the Republic of Ireland Women’s National Team, a €25,000 fund is shared equally between five players as a way of helping them with their paths beyond football. The recipients were announced on Monday and include the Inistioge native.
The five recipients of the 2022 Sky WNT Fund and receiving €5,000 each are:
- Éabha O’Mahony – Éabha is currently studying at Boston College and the bursary will help fund her college fees.
- Áine O’Gorman – Áine applied to the Sky WNT Fund for support funding the UEFA A coaching licence.
- Saoirse Noonan – Saoirse will use the bursary to help build her clothing brand, Freedom Official Clothing.
- Ellen Molloy – Ellen is progressing into third-level education and the fund will help support her college fees.
- Grace Moloney – Grace is planning to use her funding for the UEFA A coaching licence.
Any senior Women’s National Team player could apply for funding when entries opened earlier this year and applicants completed a short form, where they were asked to showcase how the funding would assist their career development or academic studies.
“Sky did a presentation and told the team about it (the fund) and I was just about to do my Leaving Cert so I thought it was very relevant to me”, says Molloy on the announcement
“I’m hoping to do radiography in UCD. The fund would help me support my education and the cost that comes with that.”
After 17 games played in the Women’s National League this year, Wexford find themselves second in the league, seven points behind free-scoring Shels.
Next up as a road trip to Market’s Field to take on Treaty United this Saturday at 5pm.
The the Republic of Ireland, their next outing comes against Finland in Tallaght this September, with tickets on sale via usual outlets from Tuesday morning.