The draw for the opening round of the 2023 Bank of Ireland Provincial Towns Cup was made at the Aviva Stadium on Saturday ahead of Leinster’s clash with Racing 92.
Kilkenny are the defending champions and can look forward to the bonus of skipping the first round of the competition having picked up a bye into the second round alongside Gorey, Boyne, Ashbourne, Division 1B leaders Wicklow and metro league Division 2 sides Naas and Enniscorthy.
In all, 25 years will take part in this year’s competition with games getting underway on Sunday 12 February. The final is earmarked for Sunday 23 April though a venue has yet to be confirmed.
2023 Provincial Towns Cup Round 1
- Longford RFC v Tullamore RFC
- Newbridge Rugby Club v North Kildare RFC
- Dundalk RFC v County Carlow Football Club
- Cill Dara Rugby Club v Clondalkin Rugby Club
- Wexford Wanderers RFC v Mullingar RFC
- Tullow RFC v Athy Rugby Club
- Roscrea Rugby Club v Skerries RFC
- New Ross RFC v Edenderry RFC
- Portlaoise Rugby Club v Navan RFC
Carlow will meet fellow Division 1B side Dundalk (away) who will be hoping to use this year’s cup competition to arrest their league form while Tullow welcome Athy to Black Gates, the sides currently second and third in Division 1B respectively.
The draw for the second round of the competition, introducing those with byes, is likely to take place on Sunday 12 February on conclusion of round one.