Ross Byrne has been named at outhalf for Ireland against Italy in the Six Nations Championship this Saturday – making his third international start.
Two of the six changes made after the win against France are in the half-back line with Craig Casey making his first Six Nations start at scrum-half.
Injured captain Johnny Sexton will watch from the stands but Conor Murray is on the bench alongside Stuart McCloskey – who’s replaced in the centre by Bundee Aki. The rest of the changes are in the forward pack with hooker Ronan Kelleher replacing Rob Herring and Iain Henderson coming in for Tadhg Beirne.
Henderson plays alongside captain James Ryan while number 8 Jack Conan replaces Peter O’Mahony so Caelan Doris moves to blindside flanker.
Our line up for Rome! 💪#TeamOfUs | #GuinnessSixNations— Irish Rugby (@IrishRugby) February 23, 2023
Paolo Garbisi will return at out-half for Italy in that match in Rome. The 22-year-old Montpellier player missed the opening two rounds of the tournament with a knee injury.
IRELAND Team (v Italy, Guinness Six Nations Championship, Stadio Olimpico, Rome, Saturday 25th February, 2023, KO 14.15 (IST)
15. Hugo Keenan (Leinster/UCD) 27 caps
14. Mack Hansen (Connacht/Corinthians) 11 caps
13. Garry Ringrose (Leinster/UCD) 49 caps
12. Bundee Aki (Connacht/Galwegians) 43 caps
11. James Lowe (Leinster) 17 caps
10. Ross Byrne (Leinster/UCD) 16 caps
9. Craig Casey (Munster/Shannon) 9 caps
1. Andrew Porter (Leinster/UCD) 50 caps
2. Ronan Kelleher (Leinster/Lansdowne) 19 caps
3. Finlay Bealham (Connacht/Buccaneers) 29 caps
4. Iain Henderson (Ulster/Academy) 70 caps
5. James Ryan (Leinster/UCD) 50 caps (c)
6. Caelan Doris (Leinster/St Mary’s College) 25 caps
7. Josh van der Flier (Leinster/UCD) 47 caps
8. Jack Conan (Leinster/Old Belvedere) 35
16. Dan Sheehan (Leinster/Lansdowne) 14 caps
17. Dave Kilcoyne (Munster/UL Bohemians) 50 caps
18. Tom O’Toole (Ulster/Ballynahinch) 6 caps
19. Ryan Baird (Leinster/Dublin University) 8 caps
20. Peter O’Mahony (Munster/Cork Constitution) 91 caps
21. Conor Murray (Munster/Garryowen) 102 caps
22. Jack Crowley (Munster/Cork Constitution) 2 caps
23. Stuart McCloskey (Ulster/Bangor) 11 cap
Elsewhere, out-half Dan Biggar and centre George North have been left out of the Wales team for their match against England. Full-back Leigh Halfpenny is in line for his 98th cap – and a first start since suffering a serious knee injury in 2021. Head coach Warren Gatland says they can finally prepare for that game after a potential strike was avoided over a contract dispute
Meanwhile England head coach Steve Borthwick’s made one change for that clash in Cardiff. Winger Anthony Watson will make his first start in almost two years, replacing Ollie Hassell-Collins.
Fan of rugby? Why not listen to our weekly rugby podcast “The Knock On” below: