The Leinster senior hurling championship gets underway this weekend and it’s home advantage for Kilkenny with Westmeath set to visit UPMC Nowlan Park on Saturday.
There were 16 points between the sides when they met at the same stage last year but that doesn’t provide any excuse to underestimate the opposition at hand. It’s the first Leinster senior hurling championship for Kilkenny in 24 years without Brian Cody on the sidelines and we’ll be in the stands as always with our on-air buildup beginning at 5.30pm. We’ll also have full coverage of Kilkenny’s U20 clash with Dublin in the preceding game from 4pm.
In line with the new times for team releases this season, the Kilkenny side to face Westmeath was named bright and early on Friday morning.
Among the changes this weekend we’ll see TJ Reid front and centre for Kilkenny with Graigue Ballycallan’s Billy Ryan and clubmate Eoin Cody either side of the full forward line. Adrian Mullen starts again at half forward with the Shamrocks duo of Darragh Corcoran and Paddy Mullen in the middle of the park. There are no places for Richie Hogan, Walter Walsh or Billy Ryan among the replacements.
Kilkenny team v Westmeath
- Eoin Murphy, Glenmore
- Mikey Butler, O’Loughlin Gaels
- Huw Lawlor, O’Loughlin Gaels
- Tommy Walsh, Tullaroan
- David Blanchfield, Bennettsbridge
- Richie Reid, Shamrocks Ballyhale
- Padraig Walsh, Tullaroan
- Daragh Corcoran, Shamrocks Ballyhale
- Paddy Mullen, Shamrocks Ballyhale
- Timmy Clifford, Dicksboro
- Adrian Mullen, Shamrocks Ballyhale
- John Donnelly, Thomastown
- Billy Ryan, Graigue Ballycallan
- TJ Reid, Shamrocks Ballyhale
- Eoin Cody (C), Shamrocks Ballyhale
Subs: Darren Brennan (St. Lachtains), Conor Delaney (Erin’s Own), Cillian Buckley Dicksboro), Conor Heary (O’Loughlin Gaels), Conor Fogarty (Erin’s Own), Alan Murphy (Glenmore), Cian Kenny (James Stephens), Martin Keoghan (Tullaroan), Niall Brennan (Lisdowney), Tom Phelan (Conahy Shamrocks), Shane Walsh (Tullaroan)
Westmeath team v Kilkenny
- Noel Conaty, Lough Lene Gaels
- Darragh Egerton, Clonkill
- Conor Shaw, Brownstown
- Johnny Bermingham, Castletown Geoghegan
- Robbie Greville, Raharney
- Tommy Doyle, Lough Lene Gaels
- Aaron Craig, St. Oliver Plunketts
- Davy Glennon, Mullagh Galway
- Shane McGovern, Crookewood
- Shane Clavin, Castletown Geoghegan
- Joey Boyle, Raharney
- Eoin Keyes, Raharney
- Kevin Regan, Cullion
- Ciaran Doyle, Raharney
- Darragh Clinton, Delvin
Subs: Conor Bracken (St. Oliver Plunketts), Charlie McCormack (Castlepollard), Adam Ennis (Delvin), Gary Greville (Raharney), Cormac Boyle (Raharney), Derek McNicholas (Lough Lene Gaels), Niall Mitchell (Clonkill), Jack Gillen (Cullion), Niall O’Brien (Castletown Geoghegan), Eoin Daly (Lough Lene Gaels), Michael Daly (Lough Lene Gaels)
Coverage of the game on Saturday is with thanks to Laharts Kilkenny with our pre-match, half-time and full-time analysis and reaction with thanks to Countrystyle Foods.