2019 champions Liverpool could potentially face German powerhouse RB Leipzig in Hungary in the Champions League next month following confirmation by the German government that they will not be allowed enter the country for the last 16 tie.
Earlier in the week, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp insisted that his side should have been allocated entry into his native country for the match considering the low levels of positive Covid-19 cases among Premier League clubs’ players and staff.
“It’s not our decision, nobody from Germany called me and asked me how is the situation in England,” said Klopp.
“With all the stuff we are doing here, the record we have with cases, the discipline we show with all the stuff we do, I think it would be absolutely reasonable to make an exception.”
It is being widely reported that Liverpool’s opponents RB Leipzig are enquiring about the viability of hosting the Premier League champions at the Puskas Arena in Budapest.
A Hungarian Football Federation spokesperson has revealed that they would accept any request that the German club, located in the east of the country, should make.
“Everything is still possible but no decision has yet been made. We have to verify certain points,” said a Leipzig official.
UEFA’s laws enforce a match forfeit of 0-3 if a club is unable to find a venue to play their home leg in.
However, Leipzig coach Julian Nagelsmann is adamant that the game will go ahead.
“I go on the principle that the match won’t be cancelled. In any case, we’ll prepare as well as possible to try and play well against Liverpool,” said the 33-year-old Nagelsmann.
RB Leipzig are scheduled to face Liverpool on Tuesday February 16 in their first leg encounter before the German side travel to Anfield for the return leg on Wednesday March 10.