The UFC’s lightweight title is on the line this weekend as rising contender Charles Oliveira and promotion newcomer Michael Chandler clash in the main event of UFC 262.
There’s no denying Oliveira’s credentials, most recently dispatching Tony Ferguson in style – out striking and out grappling the former interim champion, but he’ll face a stern test in the short-and-stocky Chandler who’ll be ready to wrestle or keep things on the feet for five rounds.
Tony Ferguson needs to bounce back. Following his unanimous decision loss to Oliveira and a battering at the hands of Justin Gaethje, ‘El Cucuy’ has rising lightweight Beneil Dariush in his way. After a three-fight skid some three or four years back, Dariush heads to Houston on a six-fight win streak and will be no pushover.
A win for Ferguson could set up a rematch with Gaethje or a potential bout with the winner of Poirier v McGregor later this summer, a loss may raise questions about his credentials at lightweight with the division stacking up.
UFC 262 Main Card
Note the weigh-in results in brackets.
- Charles Oliveira (155) vs. Michael Chandler (155), UFC lightweight title
- Tony Ferguson (156) vs. Beneil Dariush (156), Lightweight
- Katlyn Chookagian (126) vs. Viviane Araujo (126), Womens Flyweight
- Shane Burgos (146) vs. Edson Barboza (146), Featherweight
- Matt Schnell (136) vs. Rogerio Bontorin (137), Bantamweight
Charles Oliveira was first to the scales on Friday, clocking in at 155 on the button, with Michael Chandler following suit to make the championship bout official. While Tony Ferguson tipped the scales at 156 lbs, Beniel Dariush needed a second attempt and the aid of a screen to hit 156 lbs on the scales and cement their lightweight co-main event.
Rogerio Bontorin struggled to to the 137 mark, missing the bantamweight limit by a pound. Having opted not to proceed with a second attempt at weighing in, Bontorin forfeits 20% of his fight purse to Schnell.
UFC 262 Prelim Card
- Ronaldo Souza (186) vs. Andre Muniz (186), Middleweight
- Lando Vannata (146) vs. Mike Grundy (146), Featherweight
- Andrea Lee (126) vs. Antonina Shevchenko (125), Womens Flyweight
- Jordan Wright (185) vs. Jamie Pickett (186), Middleweight
UFC 262 Early Prelim Card
- Gina Mazany (126) vs. Priscila Cachoeira (126), Womens Flyweight
- Kevin Aguilar (145) vs. Tucker Lutz (146), Featherweight
- Christos Giagos (156) vs. Sean Soriano (156), Lightweight
How to watch UFC 262 in Ireland
As with all UFC events held in the US, it’s going to be a late night if you’re planning on catching Oliveira v Chandler
With five fights booked for the main card, it’s safe to say the main event isn’t likely to be seen until closer to 5am Irish time.
- Main Card: 3am BST (Sunday) on BT Sport 1
- Prelims: 1am BST (Sunday) on UFC FIGHT PASS and BT Sport 1
- Early Prelims: 11:30pm BST (Sunday) on UFC FIGHT PASS